Watch this page for all the Tangerine promotion details in 2022 and check back here regularly if you’re looking to open an account with Tangerine.
I started banking with Tangerine sometime last year and the experience has been a great one for me.
Tangerine Savings Account Promo
Tangerine savings account has no monthly fees or minimum balance requirement.
The savings account can be opened online easily and you just have to head over to a nearby Canada Post to verify your identity.
Once that’s done, your account is fully activated and you can take advantage of everything Tangerine Savings Account has to offer.
Additionally, you could earn up to $300 and 2.00% interest rate when you open a savings account with Tangerine Bank. Use code EARNMORE to avail of this offer.
You need to open your savings account with Tangerine within 30 days to benefit from this offer.
Benefits of a Tangerine Savings Account
- Tangerine has no unfair fees or service charges. I’ve never had any surprise charge show up on my account since I opened it.
- No minimum balances. Usually, when your balance falls below a certain amount you might be subject to charges with other banks but you won’t have that penalty with Tangerine bank.
- Comparable interest rates to other banks and sometimes much better.
- Money management tools are available to see how your money is doing, assign categories to payments received, and much more.
- You can move your money easily between accounts or between banks with Tangerine accounts.
- Free access to 3,500 ABMs when you open a free chequing account as well.
- Automatic Savings Plan (ASP) facility. This is my favorite feature with Tangerine Bank. You can set up an automatic savings plan easily with a target date in mind and the amount is debited from your account automatically. I set up one for a new Macbook I know I’m going to need sometime next year and it’s going along nicely so far. You earn interest on the amount in your ASP as well.
Tangerine Chequing Account Promo
A Tangerine checking account can be opened at the same time you open the savings account or later on once your information is verified.
Tangerine checking account is a no-fee daily checking account. You can carry out transactions every day for free and earn interest on every dollar in your account.
You can use the same promo code mentioned above, EARNMORE, to open your checking account with Tangerine.
Benefits of a Tangerine Chequing Account
- Receive your first checkbook free (50 cheques).
- Free ABM withdrawals from 3,500 ABMs located around Canada and 44,000 ABMs worldwide through Scotiabank’s Global ATM Alliance.
- Free replacement of your client card once per year.
- You can make online and in-app purchases with ease using your Tangerine client card.
- You can order a bank draft online and have it delivered to you.
- Unlimited daily transactions including debit purchases, bill payments, pre-authorized payments, Tangerine Email Money Transfers, and Interac e-Transfer® transactions.
- Cheque deposits from your mobile using the Cheque-In feature on Tangerine Mobile App.
- Track and categorize your spending so you have an overall idea of your spending habits and decide where you need to cut back on spending.
- You can use your Tangerine bank account with Apple Pay, Android Pay, and Samsung Pay.
Additionally, you can easily download your monthly statements for both savings and checking accounts from the comfort of your home. However, you can choose to receive paper statements if desired.
Tangerine bank’s online interface is user-friendly and easy to understand. You don’t have to click too many things to get to what you’re looking for and an outline of all your accounts is presented to you once you log in.
Savings vs Chequing Account
Below is an easy reference table of the benefits of Tangerine Savings and Chequing Accounts.
* This offer applies only when you open your account within the next 30 days. Click here to learn more.
For Tangerine credit card offers, have a look at Tangerine Credit Cards 2022.
How To Open a Tangerine Account
To open a Tangerine account, head over to their website HERE to complete an application.
You will require your SIN, contact details, government-issued ID, and employment details to populate the application.
After completing the application, you will receive an email to head over to your nearest Canada post to verify the information submitted.
It’s a simple process but if you have any issues while trying to complete an application, you can contact Tangerine at 1-888-826-4374.
What is Tangerine Bank?
Tangerine is not a traditional bank. It’s a 100% online bank but it is a subsidiary of Scotiabank, one of the biggest banks in Canada.
Tangerine used to be known as ING Direct and was acquired by Scotiabank in 2012.
When you open a Tangerine savings account, you will receive a debit card which gives you free access to 3,500 Scotiabank ABMs.
Tangerine bank offers competitive accounts and financial products which includes:-
- Savings and chequing accounts
- TFSA, RRSP, RIF, USD, and no registered savings accounts
- Guaranteed Investment Certificates (GICs)
- Credit cards (Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card and Tangerine World Mastercard)
- Business accounts
- Investment funds
- Home equity line of credit
- Line of credit
Tangerine has received several awards over the years including one for overall customer satisfaction in the Midsize Bank Segment and #1 in trust with Retail Banking in the 2021 J.D. Power Banking Satisfaction Study.
Where is Tangerine Bank Head Office?
Because Tangerine is an online bank doesn’t mean there’s no physical presence at all.
Tangerine’s head office is located at 3389 Steeles Avenue East, Toronto (Currently closed due to COVID).
Instead of branches, they have Cafes where you can chat with associates. These Cafes are located in Calgary, Vancouver, North Toronto, and Montreal.
How to Contact Tangerine Bank
You can reach Tangerine bank’s customer service at 1 (888) 826-4374. They can be reached Monday to Friday, 8:00 am – 8:00 pm EST but are closed on holidays.
Is Tangerine a Safe Bank?
Tangerine is a member of the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation (CDIC). Their accounts are covered by CDIC insurance up to $100,000 per category.
All of Tangerine’s Canadian and US dollar savings products, Guaranteed Investments, Tax-Free Savings Account (TFSA), and RSP Accounts are eligible for Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation (CDIC) insurance.
Tangerine Online Security
The bank’s online security engages an online PIN, DoubleSafe, 2-Step Authentication, and 128-bit encryption in regards to your personal information.
Your client card also includes an embedded microchip to enhance safe and secure banking.
Does Tangerine Have a Newcomer Account Package?
There is no specific account package with Tangerine for newcomers to Canada.
If you have any questions about banking with Tangerine, drop them in the comments section.
I will update this page when there are any new Tangerine promotions so you may want to bookmark it.
Alternatively, you can sign up HERE to be notified whenever there’s a new update on the website.
This post may contain affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. Read full disclosure HERE.